Holocaust Memorial Torah

Memorial Scrolls Trust LogoAt Temple Sinai was honored to be part of the The Memorial Scrolls Trust, and we are privileged to have Czech Memorial Torah Scroll #976. This scroll comes from the town of Kromerizc-Kremsier, Moravia - now part of the Czech Republic.

The Memorial Scrolls Trust has a sacred responsibility for nearly 1600 Czech Torah scrolls. The scrolls were rescued from the Holocaust by the Prague Jewish community, which largely perished, and were brought to Westminster Synagogue more than 50 years ago. During WWII, the Nazis collected gold and silver ornaments, ceremonial objects and Torah scrolls from towns all over Europe.  A group of Czechoslovakian Jews was forced to arrange and catalog the items which had been collected in Prague. After the war, the Communist Government of Czechoslovakia released the Torahs scrolls. 

In 1964, the Memorial Scrolls Committee of Westminster Synagogue in London arranged for the shipment of 1564 scrolls from Prague to the Synagogue, where they were cataloged and repaired and restored when possible. Each Torah was given a numbered brass plaque to identify its origin. Scrolls that could not be made fit for synagogue use were sent to religious and educational institutions as solemn memorials. Those that were repaired and could be used in religious service were sent to fulfill requests of synagogues all over the world in return for a contribution toward restoration expenses.

Upon a recommendation of our partners, Howard and Marjorie Sanford,  Temple Sinai's Board of Trustees requested the loan of one of the Torahs. It arrived to Miami in 1974. On Shabbat Zachor, February 26, 1977, it was formally dedicated by Aaron and Dorothy Podhurst in honor of their daughters Karen, Laura and Julie.

    
















Temple Sinai's Feinbloom Sanctuary Torah Scrolls, from right to left: Pollak Torah, Katz Torah, Podhurst Holocaust Torah, Hollander Torah, 50th Anniversary Torah, Osman/Sephardic Torah.

Wed, September 20 2017 29 Elul 5777